Monday, July 23, 2007

Chilling remedy

Last night I was listening to a BBC reporter interview an ambassador from China. They were discussing how to improve product standards in China and touched on complaints from the West about toothpaste containing industrial solvents and pet food bulked with melamine resulting in the deaths of dozens of pets. The ambassador noted this was a "delicate" issue and admitted "Western countries deserve redress for these problems." I thought, "that's not quite the word I would use, doesn't he mean 'address' the problems?" In the next stomach-churning moment my feeling there was a translation error in 'redress' was clarified when it was revealed that on Tuesday, 10 July 2007 Zheng Xiaoyu, the head of China's Food and Drug Administration was executed. Others have received death sentences and await their executions.

1 comment:

B.R. said...

Yikes. Just read up on this. Am experiencing the same physiological reaction as I write this.