Friday, July 20, 2007

Parnassas- Sad to See you go

Many times I have submitted poems to Parnassas:Poetry in Review and many times I've received a letter back rejecting my poems, but for astute reasons always penned in an intelligent hand by Herb Leibowitz. I thought of Parnassas as the pinnacle of achievement. "If only I could get my poems there," I though, "I'll have arrived." While it may not be as well known as "Poetry" or "The Paris Review" the standards were as high if not higher and the care and attention to putting together a good journal is as good as anywhere. It was a hidden treasure. Too hidden apparently to keep attracting the funding needed to keep a quality operation going as I learned from this heartbreaking letter. Get your last and back issues while you can. That signature, by the way, is real ink not a stamp. We'll miss you H.L.

No comments: