Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My Neologism for the Day

My friend and I were having a conversation about names that come up when you are googling someone and you're not sure if a reference matches the person you're searching. I said, "yes, you're never sure if it is der Googelgaenger."

When you google yourself, you're sure to discover an evil twin.
There's someone with my name in Virginia right now racking up drunk-driving violations. Sometimes, confusion by third parties between you and some other person (YOUR Googelgaenger) could be screwing up your credit report, tax filings, job applications etc.... It's not identity theft, after all they use their own names, it's just that identities can get melded when people or computers troll for information.

Let me know if you think this word could catch on.

No comments: